Website City of Waco
Animal Care Supervisor – Aquatics
City of Waco
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Number: 2021 -01741
Location: Waco, TX
Minimum Starting Salary: $17.50/hr
Under basic supervision, manages the health and welfare of exotic and native animals in the City Zoo; supervises and trains Zookeepers and oversees daily care, husbandry and nutrition of assigned animals.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manages the daily care, husbandry and nutrition of assigned animals; resolves problems within scope of authority; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Inspects and maintains Zoo exhibits in order to assure the health of Zoo collection, prevent spread of disease and comply with government regulations.
• Manages staff; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; trains and evaluates staff; develops staff skills and conducts performance evaluations; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve workload and technical issues.
• Performs daily rounds and evaluates the health and welfare of the animals in the City Zoo; assures compliance with rules and standards of United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
• Identifies animal health care issues and works with Veterinarian to develop and implement health care maintenance and treatment plans.
• Manages preparation and distribution of foodstuffs and nutritional supplements.
• Meets with Zookeepers to discuss animal health issues and preventive health measures.
• Monitors animal health issues, behavior and eating habits; maintains records and updates database.
• Monitors exhibit facilities and grounds to assure proper maintenance procedures are followed.
• Assists with development of plans for exhibit renovation and expansion.
• Manages inventory of equipment and supplies.
• Assists with public education and community outreach programs.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
• Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Driving is essential.
• Associates Degree in Zoology, Biological Sciences, or related field.
• Two years’ professional animal care work experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Experience with maintenance and operation of life support systems on both small and large systems.
• Husbandry experience in a variety of marine and freshwater species of fish and invertebrates, various reptiles and elasmobranchs is preferred.
• SCUBA- Dive Instructor level certification is preferred.
• Various days and hours – including nights, weekends and holidays.
• Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Required to physically work with wild animals.
EEO StatementThe City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2513954
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.