Website City of Waco
City of Waco
Salary: $19.83 – $31.68 Hourly
Job Number: 2021 -01739
Location: Waco, TX
Department: Development Services
Under basic supervision, inspects commercial and residential construction projects (all trades) for Inspection Services; reviews technical plans and construction documents, inspects structures and verifies compliance with all building, safety and construction codes, standards and regulations and with the approved building plans. Also enforces health and safety ordinances for the City; patrols City to identify and investigate violations; notifies offenders, maintains case files and resolves complaints.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Inspects residential and commercial building construction and building trades activities conducted under permits issued by the City; verifies construction activities are in compliance with all applicable codes, ordinances and regulations.
• Inspects building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing construction, as allowed by license; approves work which conforms to City codes and zoning regulations; identifies compliance deficiencies and defines corrections to be made; coordinates inspection work with other departments and agencies.
• Reviews plans and specifications of projects to gain familiarity with the projects prior to inspection; performs field inspections to evaluate the work performed and materials used.
• Verifies quality of workmanship, quality of materials used and compliance with plans, specifications, estimates and applicable codes and regulations; notes deficiencies and deviations from plans; interprets regulations and issues notices of violation within scope of authority.
• Maintains communications with developers and builders on construction and inspection projects; analyzes practices, identifies problems and recommends improvements; maintains and updates inspection records, project documentation and Department files.
• Refers serious problems and disagreements in compliance issues to Building Inspection Supervisor.
• Answers inquiries and assists customers with application process, compliance issues, permit review, codes and code enforcement and other City standards and regulations.
• Responds to requests for information; interprets City and state codes, resolves conflicts, provides technical information to City staff and provides assistance to the public within scope of authority.
• Patrols City to check for violations of City health and safety codes; responds to complaints, identifies and inspects violations and contacts individuals to discuss violations and procedures for resolving compliance issues; prepares violation letters and citations.
• Re-inspects previous notified violations to verify compliance; explains and enforces City codes, regulations and code enforcement rules.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
• Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
• Driving is essential.
• City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
• Federal, state and local building, housing and safety laws, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations.
• International Building and Fire Codes, Electrical Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code and related state and local statutes and regulations.
• City land use and development regulations and zoning and building codes.
• Principles and practices of the construction industry and building trades.
• Principles and practices of building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing inspection.
• Building material specifications and product installation standards.
• Record keeping and file maintenance principles and procedures.
• Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
• Interpreting and applying statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations.
• Reading and interpreting building plans and technical specifications and checking details, estimates, plans and specifications of projects.
• Applying technical knowledge of building trades work and using sound inspection methods to determine workmanship quality and detect deviations from plans, specifications and standard practices.
• Providing advice and consultation on construction methods and technical requirements.
• Analyzing situations accurately, making independent decisions while working in the field and following established procedures.
• Maintaining accurate and interrelated technical and computerized records.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business and specialized software.
• Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public and handling stressful situations and angry people.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent and five year’s journeyman/foreman-level experience in building trades and electrical, mechanical, and plumbing installation. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Work experience in construction inspection.
• Master or Journeyman Electrical License.
• State of Texas Journeyman Plumber license.
• State of Texas Plumbing Inspectors License is desired and may be required within one year of employment.
• Certification as Building Inspector through the International Code Council (ICC) Inspector certifications are preferred and may be required within one year of hire.
• ICC Electrical Plan Review Certification, ICC Plan Review Certification, and ICC Mechanical and Plumbing Plan Review Certifications.
• Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
EEO StatementThe City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2511963
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.