Website City of Waco
City of Waco
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Number: 2021 -01796
Location: Waco, TX
Department: Development Services
Under limited supervision, manages the Long Range Planning Division of the Planning/ Inspections Department (PSD) through effective staff management and resource allocation; performs professional work of technical difficulty, provides leadership in all aspects of long range planning, including City Plan, Waco Comprehensive Plan implementation, updates and annual review, neighborhood planning, demographic and development trends analysis, project and policy support, public engagement efforts and special initiatives as requested by City Council and City Manager’s Office
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manages, oversees, and performs extensive and large-scale planning activities for the City; recommends and prepares amendments to the Community Development Code and other City plans as needed.
• Provides leadership, direction and guidance in technical processes and procedures; manages long range planning work program including implementing and updating the Comprehensive Plan, and developing neighborhood, corridor, and other subarea plans.
• Serves as principal advisor and subject-matter expert on long range planning projects; exercises independent judgment within broad policy guidelines; evaluates and analyzes technical issues,
• Oversees transportation planning, neighborhoods and placemaking programs; coordinates the resolution of barriers/problems to implementation with other City departments and governmental agencies.
• Manages annexations, land use plan amendments, re-zonings, development agreements, and other development applications.
• Conducts community outreach, public presentations, and other forms of citizen involvement to support long range planning projects and initiatives.
• Participates in and manages complex professional planning projects, research and analysis.
• Prepares planning information and presents at City Council; provides quality control for agenda items and other documents prepared by staff.
• Communicates regulations clearly and concisely to lay groups and the general public; assists applicants, owners, and others through permitting and applications; disseminates information, prepares reports, and communicates extensively through the process of planning and development; participates in meetings, public hearings, pre-application meetings, and plan reviews to ensure compliance with regulations.
• Gathers, compiles, researches, and uses data for analysis and to answer Council concerns.
• Advises and represents the department and City at various internal and countywide committees, boards and stakeholder groups on planning and related issues as needed.
• Directs, coaches and trains staff and evaluates performance; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload, resource allocation, quality standards and technical issues; monitors operations to identify and resolve problems; assures projects meet scope, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Business or Public Administration.
• Five year’s experience in managing urban planning projects, including supervisory experience.
• OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Professional certification through the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is desired.
• Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
EEO StatementThe City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2608568
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.