Website City of Waco
Administrative Assistant – City Secretary’s Office | City Secretary’s Office | Job Number 2021-01667
Job Family: Office Clerical
Posting Start Date: 07/13/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $18.00 – $20.00 Hourly
Under supervision, performs complex office clerical and administrative support functions for City staff and provides customer services for the general public and the City Council; enters and retrieves data in automated records management systems; provides information within scope of authority.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Performs basic clerical and administrative duties in accordance with Department procedures and City policy, including data entry, record keeping, basic accounting, preparing and processing documents, and maintaining files; makes and distributes copies; processes mail, documents, correspondence, invoices and other materials; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Provides customer service, information, and assistance to visitors and others having business with the City; responds to requests for information within the scope of authority; assists customers with requests, permit applications, government forms, and other documents.
· Updates and maintains a variety of electronic and paper files, records, reports, and documents; processes forms, records, and files; queries system databases and spreadsheets as requested by authorized persons; collects statistical data, and compiles data for reports.
· Receives records and permit applications, verifies information, and enters data into City computer systems.
· Updates and maintains statistical information, reports, and related documents.
· Answers incoming telephone calls and directs the caller to the correct person or work group or takes and relays messages as appropriate; coordinates and schedules meetings and appointments as requested; cross-trains in other office support duties as needed.
· Receives and sends information to and from other City departments, agencies, and jurisdictions.
· Prepares invoices, reports, memos, letters, financial statements, and other documents, using word processing, spreadsheet, database, or presentation software and City Web Page.
· Conducts research, compile data and prepare reports and Proclamations for consideration and presentation by Council, Executive Team, and City Secretary.
· Attends meetings to record minutes or assist public and staff meetings.
· Greets visitors and determine whether they should be given access to specific individuals.
· Reads and analyze incoming memos, submissions, and reports to determine their significance and plan their distribution.
· Files and retrieves official City documents, records, and reports.
· Makes travel arrangements for City Secretary and City Council.
· Prepares responses to correspondence containing routine inquiries.
· Prepares agendas and make arrangements, such as coordinating catering for luncheons, for committee, board and other meetings.
· Coordinates and direct office services, such as records, departmental finances, budget preparation and housekeeping, to aid City Secretary and City staff.
· Manages and maintain City Secretary and City Council schedules.
· Processes payroll information.
· Supervises and train other clerical staff and arrange for employee training by scheduling training or organizing training material.
· Interprets administrative, code of ordinances, and operation policies and procedures for employees and citizens.
· Post and/or publish public notification of all official activities or meetings as required by the Open Meetings Act.
· Meets with individuals, special interest groups, and others on behalf of City Secretary, committees, and boards
· Reviews operation practices and procedures to determine whether improvements can be made in areas such as workflow, reporting procedures, or expenditures.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco, City Council and the general public by demonstration courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff.
· May collect special fees and account information for City services and perform cashier functions.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
· City organization, operation, policies and procedures.
· Municipal government function, political environments, and confidentiality standards.
· Applicable state and federal rules, codes and ordinances, and regulations.
· Principles of record keeping, case files, and records management.
· Customer service principles and methods.
· Entering information into a computer system with speed and accuracy.
· Operating basic office equipment and a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
· Time management and conflict resolution.
· Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers.
· Providing effective customer service and dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
· Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
· Maintaining accurate records.
Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
· Three years of clerical or customer service experience.
· Must possess a Valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Associate’s Degree in Applied Sciences, Business Administration, Human Resources, Marketing, Business Management Technology or a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
· Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org