Website City of Waco
Animal Control Officer | Animal Services | REQ-1554
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 05/07/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Minimum Hourly Rate: $14.09
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, including nights, weekends and holidays. Will require mandatory on-call hours. Required to report within 30 minutes during on-call hours.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, enforces state laws and local ordinances governing domestic and wild animals for the Animal Control work group of the Waco Police Department (WPD).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Responds to calls for service; captures, transports, impounds and quarantines animals; enforces state and local regulations governing animal control issues, investigates complaints and issues citations.
· Provides customer service on domestic complaints and information requests; presents community outreach and educational programs; maintains records and prepares summary and status reports.
· Maintains assigned vehicle and equipment according to City standards.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
· May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required
· Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· City policies and procedures.
· Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of Animal Control programs.
· Basic record keeping practices and customer service standards and protocols.
· Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
· Enforcing and explaining state rules and regulations and City ordinances, policies and procedures.
· Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
· Capturing, controlling, containing and transporting sick, injured and diseased animals.
· Exercising patience, care and compassion in dealing with animals.
· Following and enforcing verbal and written instructions and procedures.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND one years of customer service experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Basic Animal Control certification from Texas Department of State Health Services is required within six months of hire.
Euthanasia Certification mandated by Texas Department of State Health Services is required within 120 days of hire.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com