Website City of Waco
Convention and Visitors Sales Representative | Convention & Visitors Bureau | Job Number 2021-01658
Job Family: Professional Technical
Posting Start Date: 07/08/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Under general supervision, cultivate professional relationships in the solicitation process for events at the convention center. Will be responsible for marketing, selling and managing sports and convention services and events for the Waco Convention Center and Convention & Visitors Bureau (CC/CVB).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Solicits convention and meeting business through direct solicitations via presentations, trade show contacts and personal calls as well as telemarketing, bid book preparation and other correspondence in assigned markets.
· Manages CC/CVB meetings, conventions and sports events sales and services from initial client meetings.
· Coordinates events with local business and service providers. While also coordinating site tours and/or tickets for meeting planners coming from out of town
· Attends supplier/buyer tradeshows
· Recruits for fully potential clients to produce a lead for industry partnerships.
· Publicizes convention needs or group requirements through sending clear and concise leads to hospitality communities.
· Solicits convention and meeting business through direct solicitations via presentation’s, trade show contacts and personal calls as well as telemarketing, bid book preparation and other correspondence in the assigned markets.
· Responsible for maintaining memberships with Meeting Professionals International (MPI), Texas Society for Association Executives (TSAE) and Society for Governmental Meeting Planners (SGMP) while representing the Convention Center at monthly events and networking for new businesses.
· Maintains relationships with local attractions and tourism management in order to promote their attractions.
· Responsible for sales, venue scheduling and bookings, catering, contracts, problem and issue resolution and event coordination; develops budgets and prepares event evaluations and reports; coordinates events with local businesses and service providers.
· Assisting with coordination of outside vendors. Utilizing local businesses when possible.
· Coordinates various VIP events for the Mayor and/or City Council or City Management.
· Identifies sports events, special events and recreation program planners, promotes CC/CVB and solicits convention business opportunities.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff.
· Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
· City policies and procedures.
· City Missions, goals and objectives.
· Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
· Industry operations.
· Sales and marketing principles, processes and methods.
· Tourism and Hospitality—understanding the industry.
· Budget management and value assessment and management of financial resources.
· Purpose use and benefits of municipal recreation programs and sports event facilities.
· Customer service principles and practices.
· Record keeping and file maintenance principles.
· Business and personal computers and specialized software applications.
· Managing and coordinating sports and convention center events and operations.
· Identifying sports and recreation program events and promoting CC/CVB facilities.
· Negotiation over contracts.
· Analyzing problems, resolving disputes and grievances and developing effective solutions.
· Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· Ungerboeck experience is preferred.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or a related field is required; AND five years of experience in Meeting Sales and Hospitality OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) preferred
· Requires exerting up to 10 lbs. occasionally or minimal weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org