Website City of Waco
Engineer in Training |Utilities| REQ-1515
Job Family: Professional Technical
Posting Start Date: 04/21/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Minimum Salary: $58,000.00
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
PRIMARY DUTY: Under the direction of a licensed engineer, develops, reviews, and executes civil
engineering projects for the Engineering Division of the Public Works or Water Utility Services Department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Performs civil engineering work to develop plans and recommendations for civil engineering projects such as feasibility studies, design of water, sanitary sewer, storm drain, streets, pedestrian improvements, and detention facilities.
· Meets with citizens, businesses, and outside agencies to discuss engineering issues.
· Under supervision of a licensed engineer, prepares plans, specifications, estimates, special provisions, and funding documents.
· Conducts various meetings including pre-bid, bid-opening, and pre-construction.
· Serves as Project Manager for in-house design and construction projects.
· Serves as Project Manager for selected consultant projects.
· Performs other duties assigned by engineers in support of the Engineering Division and/or Water Utility Services including possible job rotation.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Principles of civil engineering, mathematics, and physics.
· Principles of design, construction and maintenance of public works and utility projects.
· Methods, materials and equipment used in public works construction, maintenance and repair.
· City organization, operations, policies and procedures is preferred.
· Developing and reviewing designs, details, estimates, plans and specifications of engineering projects.
· Preparing, reviewing, and presenting reports.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials and representatives from other local, state and federal agencies.
· Strong oral and written technical communication skills.
· Proficiency with software including AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microsoft Office a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited university is required. Fundamentals of
Engineering Exam (FE) must be passed within 12 months of employment. Related civil engineering work
experience is preferred.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Engineer in Training certificate from the Texas Board of Professional Engineers must be obtained within 12 months of hire.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com