Website City of Waco
Heavy Equipment Operator – CDL | Public Works | Job Number 2021-01586
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $17.00 Hourly
Under basic supervision, performs semi-skilled work in the operation of specialized trucks and heavy motorized equipment used for a variety of job functions in the Public Works Department (PWD).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Operates a variety of specialized trucks and heavy motorized equipment to repair and maintain streets, roadways and infrastructure in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures; hauls materials and transports vehicles and equipment to job sites; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Inspects and cleans vehicles, equipment and tools for proper operating condition; repairs, maintains and adjusts equipment; maintains usage logs; recognizes, avoids and reports unsafe acts, conditions, accidents and injuries; controls work projects to assure that safety rules and regulations are followed and that the work zone and all equipment are in safe operating condition.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· Performs other duties as required or assigned.
· Driving is essential.
· City policies and procedures.
· Operation and maintenance methods and standards for heavy equipment and specialized vehicles.
· Methods, tools and equipment used in maintenance of streets, roadways and infrastructure.
· Occupational hazards and safety rules for traffic control and vehicle operations on public streets.
· City geography, traffic patterns, streets, landmarks and PWD facility locations.
· Performing street and roadway maintenance and repair work.
· Making routine operating adjustments, repairs and preventive maintenance to assigned equipment.
· Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures and safe work practices.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required and one year experience in heavy equipment operations.
· A valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver’s License with Tanker Endorsement is required at the time of interview.
· Requires exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org