Website City of Waco
Librarian | Library | Job Number 2021-01613
Job Family: Professional
Posting Start Date: 03/11/2021 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Under general supervision, performs professional-level librarian duties, utilizing current technology and traditional resources to meet the informational, instructional, educational and recreational needs of the community; manages assigned library programs and recommends plans, programs and policies for the Waco-McLennan County Public Library (WPL).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provides technical and professional assistance to library patrons and teaches the use of library resources and equipment for performing research; assists and instructs people in the most efficient and effective ways to identify, locate, access and use public information and resources; processes patron’s requests for additional resources and discusses with other WPL staff; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Develops and presents library programs to meet the informational, instructional, educational and recreational needs of the community; provides a level of service to keeps pace with customer needs and requests.
· Maintains assigned print and electronic media collections and resources; assists with collection development; reviews books and electronic media available, evaluates options, selects materials to meet the needs of the community and recommends additions to the collection; reviews and evaluates current collection and recommends the removal of books and other resources that are no longer appropriate for the collection.
· Monitors the database and verifies the accuracy during cataloging of acquisitions.
· Oversees library security and checks to assure patrons comply with policies and procedures; verifies that quality standards are met, and appropriate services are provided; assists with training of volunteers and staff.
· Develops special promotions for patrons, including outreach programs and training classes.
· Responds to general inquiries from the public; provides information, instructions and assistance within scope of authority; assists customers with requests, applications, government forms and other documents; interprets and explains library policies, procedures, rules and regulations to staff and patrons.
· Circulates materials and coordinates patron services; processes book and media requests; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; administers checking in and out procedures for Library materials; creates new patron records.
· Gathers and compiles data for reports and prepares statistical and analytical reports of Library activities and operations; reviews circulation data and prepares usage reports.
· Promotes WPL programs and services to community agencies, advocates and citizen groups.
· Provides reference service and resource recommendations using print, media and digital resources.
· Provides research and information assistance.
· Provides readers advisory service.
· Instructs patrons in the use of library materials and online catalog.
· Collection development of the reference and circulating collection, through selection and weeding in assigned subject areas.
· Promotes library collections, technology and services through presentations, programs and topical displays.
· Assist in planning and implementing adult programs and displays.
· Conducts instructional tours of library facilities.
· Creates library publications, including bibliographies, guides and Web-based resources. Maintains discipline and order in the library.
· Provides basic circulation service, as needed.
· Substitutes at branches as needed.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
· Proficiency with Windows-based Pc’s, Microsoft Office products, web searching and email.
· Special knowledge of publishing trends, authors, titles and reading interest of adults.
· In-depth knowledge of library materials, services and operations.
· Knowledge of emerging information and library technologies.
· City policies and procedures.
· Principles and practices of public library administration.
· State and Federal resources for Library programs.
· Library classification, cataloging and acquisition protocols.
· Collection development, evaluation and reference principles.
· Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of library programs and facilities.
· Customer service principles and practices.
· Ability to learn and operate library automated system with high degree of efficiency.
· Ability to exercise initiative, leadership and independent judgment.
· Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively and meet deadlines.
· Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
· Ability to interact with people of varying personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
· Proficiency with various e-reader devices.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to analyze and creatively solve problems and resolve disputes and grievances.
· Flexible, adaptable and able to flourish in a changing environment.
· Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
· Delivering quality library programs and services to the community.
· Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution.
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Must be able to pass a Library Skills test – 80%
· Public Library experience.
· Requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com