Website City of Waco
Library Associate | Library | Job Number 2021-01589
Job Family: Office Clerical
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Library Associates are responsible for providing quality services to the public. They assist patrons in a friendly and a timely manner both in person and by telephone.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Use library automated system to check materials in/out, process holds, register new borrowers and collect fines/fees.
· Assist patrons with the use of library equipment, including the copier, fax, online catalog and public computers.
· Assist patrons with reference and readers’ advisory questions.
· Shelves library materials.
· Assist patrons in locating materials.
· Assist in keeping the library neat and orderly.
· Assists Librarians in the preparations and presentation of programs.
· Assists with the opening and closing procedures of the library.
· Must follow ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentiality.
· Duties may vary according to job assignments.
· May take a lead role in Branch Manager’s absence.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
· Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer services.
· General knowledge of the library’s services and collections.
· Ability to quickly and accurately sort by alphabetical, numerical, chronological, or Dewey Decimal order.
· Working knowledge of computers is required.
· Enters and retrieves data in automated records management systems.
· Knowledge of ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentiality.
· Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
· Ability to work cooperatively and interact with people of varying personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Flexible, adaptable. And able to flourish in a changing environment.
· Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
· Customer Service experience.
· Must be able to pass a Library Skills test – 80%
· Some college experience.
· Public library experience.
· Requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com