Website City of Waco
Library Shelver – 10 hours/week – Part Time | Library | Job Number 2021-01588
Job Family: Office Clerical
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $11.59 Hourly
Under basic supervision, assists Waco-McLennan County Public Library (WPL) patrons with locating items, check-out and return of library materials and other customer services. Library Assistants are responsible for providing quality services to the public. They assist patrons in a friendly and a timely manner both in person and by telephone.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Use library automated system to check materials in/out, process holds, register new borrowers and collect fines/fees.
· Assist patrons with the use of library equipment, including the copier, fax, online catalog and public computers.
· Assist patrons with reference and readers’ advisory questions.
· Shelves library materials.
· Assist patrons with locating material.
· Assists in keeping the library neat and orderly.
· Assist with opening and closing procedures of the library.
· Must follow ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentially.
· Duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is essential.
· Maximum of 10 hours/week.
· City policies and procedures.
· Customer service principles and practices.
· Computer use. Enters and retrieves data in automated records management systems.
· Cash handling.
· Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer services.
· General knowledge of the library’s service and collections.
· Ability to quickly and accurately sort by alphabetical, numerical, chronological, or Dewey Decimal order.
· Working knowledge of computers required.
· Knowledge of cash handling procedures
· Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
· Ability to work cooperatively and interact with people of various personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Flexible, adaptable and able to flourish in a changing environment.
· Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
· Knowledge in ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentiality.
· Accurately filing and finding library materials in a variety of designated locations.
· Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· Must be at least 16 years of age and have acquired or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
· Customer Service experience.
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s license.
· Must be able to pass a Library Skills test – 80%
· Public Library experience.
· Requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org