Website City of Waco
Master HVAC Mechanic | General Services | Job Number 2021-01648
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $25.00 Hourly
Under general supervision, performs duties of a professional HVAC Technician (Heating-Ventilation-Air Conditioning) including installation, maintenance, testing and repair of HVAC equipment, components, controls and building systems; recognizes abnormal conditions and solves HVAC system problems; performs work in compliance with all safety requirements.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Locates and repairs HVAC and refrigeration problems in City facilities in accordance with state mechanical and electrical codes; works independently and makes appropriate decisions based on work experience and training; performs HVAC repair and maintenance activities within scope of authority and in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures; notifies supervisors of complex repair problems.
· Reviews work orders, identifies material and equipment needs for each assigned project, defines and troubleshoots maintenance and repair issues and resolves problems with cost-effective solutions.
· Repairs and installs HVAC equipment and systems using technical skills, mechanical proficiency and knowledge of HVAC systems; inspects work to verify compliance to quality and safety standards.
· Inspects, tests, calibrates, installs and repairs HVAC systems, components, controls and devices; performs maintenance and preventive maintenance; reads and interprets diagrams and schematics.
· Examines HVAC system failures and equipment malfunctions; determines cause and fixes problems.
· Examines components to be repaired and determines the proper repair techniques; studies schematics to determine needed repairs or replacement of components; replaces faulty components and tests finished job to determine system capability; updates wiring diagrams as needed.
· Inspects a variety of HVAC equipment; assures equipment functions meet job specifications and technical codes; maintains and updates daily log of activities; keeps current on system problems, new products and procedures and cost-effective trends in HVAC and electrical equipment and supplies.
· Monitors work sites to verify that the work zone and all equipment are in safe operating condition; verifies maintenance and repair issues are properly identified, addressed and resolved; operates a variety of specialized vehicles and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
· Checks facilities and grounds for unsafe conditions; clears hazards and dangerous areas; reports safety conditions, security issues and illegal activities; reports problems and emergency situations.
· Maintains technical and administrative records of services performed and equipment installed.
· Assists with training and cross-training of City staff.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is an essential job function.
· City policies and procedures.
· Materials, methods, tools, equipment and supplies used in testing, maintenance and repair of HVAC and refrigeration systems, including electronic control systems.
· Federal, state and local laws, codes, rules and regulations governing environmental health and occupational safety, including National Electrical Code, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards and Occupational Health and Safety Association (OSHA) regulations.
· Techniques and procedures for repair and maintenance of HVAC systems in public buildings.
· Operation, maintenance, repair and safety standards for HVAC systems and equipment.
· Techniques for handling, use and storage of chemicals, including OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
· Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards and safety precautions in public facilities.
· Environmentally responsible and resource-efficient repair and maintenance techniques.
· Interpreting technical manuals, instructions, blueprints, sketches and diagrams for the maintenance, repair and installation of HVAC equipment and components.
· Using a variety of diagnostic tools, methods and techniques for troubleshooting HVAC systems.
· Inspecting buildings and identifying maintenance and repair problems.
· Interpreting and applying technical standards and procedures, state rules and regulations.
· Testing, diagnosing, repairing and maintaining HVAC equipment and systems.
· Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
· Reading and understanding plans, specifications and technical documents.
· Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
· Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent and four years’ experience as a licensed HVAC Technician.
· Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
· Class A HVAC Technician certification and license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and EPA technician certification and additional specific technical skills training and certifications may be required.
· Overtime and On-call hours as required
Both indoors and outdoors
· Major activities are performed indoors and/or outdoors and may be exposed to all weather conditions.
· Requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or a up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com