Website City of Waco
Senior Engineer-Streets Division-Consultant Management | Public Works | REQ 1104-1
Job Family: Management Supervisory
Posting Start Date: 02/11/2020 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under general supervision, develops, designs, reviews, and executes engineering projects. Responsible for signing and sealing calculations, designs and reports completed under their direct supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages civil projects (public works, public utilities, traffic, stormwater and development) through all phases from initial project assignment to completion according to project schedules, budgets, state and federal regulations and City standards.
- Serves as Design Engineer for in-house design.
- Serves as Project Engineer for selected consultant projects.
- Serves as Project Engineer for construction projects.
- Prepares plans, specifications, estimates, special provisions and funding documents.
- Conducts various meetings including pre-bid, bid-openings, and pre-construction.
- Reviews engineering designs for in-house, consultant and developer plans.
- Develops notices, exhibits, and presentations for public meetings.
- Assist with development engineering plan review.
- Assist with traffic engineering work.
- Performs other duties assigned in support of Engineering.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
- Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
Fundamentals of civil engineering, mathematics and physics.
Principles and practices of public works design, construction, and maintenance.
Principles and practices of public utilities design, construction, and maintenance.
Principles and practices of government project management
Federal and state codes and regulations governing public works, utilities, development, and traffic
Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Analyzing issues, evaluating alternatives and making logical recommendations based on findings.
Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
Interpreting and applying engineering standards and procedures, Federal and state regulations and City policies and procedures.
Developing and checking designs, details, estimates, plans and specifications of engineering projects.
Preparing, reviewing and presenting reports and presentations.
Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials and representatives from other local, state and federal agencies.
Strong oral and written technical communication skills.
Proficiency with software including AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS and Microsoft Office a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required from an ABET accredited university; AND four years’ work experience in engineering, or project management, two of which have to be as a licensed engineer; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Registration as a Professional Engineer by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers is required.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com