Website City of Waco
SENIOR WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR| Public Works – Streets | Code: REQ-1381
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 12/07/2020| Closing: Open Until Filled
Minimum Hourly Rate: $17.99
Hours: Monday-Friday; 7:00am-3:30 pm: Mandatory On-call & Over-time as needed.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, leads a crew of Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators to
perform a combination of basic and semi-skilled work in the operation of the Wastewater Treatment Plants
(WWTP) for the Water Utility Services Department (WUSD).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may
include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance
at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and
responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leads and trains a crew of Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators operations of WWTP facilities and
equipment; monitors operations, verifies proper functioning, makes process adjustments within scope of
authority; performs work in accordance with all quality standards and WUSD procedures; performs manual
labor tasks as needed; maintains daily work logs and records; performs duties within scope of authority and
training and in compliance with City policies; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Assists in the operation of WWTP facilities and equipment; performs work in accordance with all quality
standards, safety regulations and procedures; duties will vary according to job assignment and skill level.
• Observes and monitors WWTP equipment and process control system; cleans, maintains and adjusts
equipment and components to meet WWTP specifications; collects samples and checks equipment to verify
proper operating conditions; maintains records of services performed.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and
cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of workrelated issues and City information.
• Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or
City wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• State and Federal laws and regulations governing wastewater plant operations; including Texas
Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) standards.
• OSHA safety rules and regulations and safety standards in utility plant environments.
• Reading and interpreting gauges and recording devices.
• Following and maintaining safety standards.
• Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Using a personal computer and specialized software applications.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND one year of WWTP maintenance experience.
Senior Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Class B Wastewater license from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is required.
• According to the needs of the City, additional training and certifications may be required within 2.5 years.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org