Website City of Waco
Solid Waste Operator – CDL | Solid Waste| Job Number 2021-01620
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $16.07 Hourly
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Under basic supervision, operates sanitation trucks to collect and transport materials to the City landfill and recycling center for Solid Waste Department (SWD).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Collects solid waste, refuse, bulky items and recyclable materials and transports materials to the City landfill and recycling center; operates a variety of vehicles and equipment at City landfill in accordance with all safety regulations; performs manual labor tasks as needed; maintains daily work logs and records; provides customer service as needed; performs duties within scope of authority and training and in compliance with City policies; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Operates specialized heavy equipment to move, grade and cover landfill materials; monitors work environment for safety and continually screens all materials at the landfill in order to identify hazardous and prohibited waste; utilizes proper safety precautions in all work performed; inspects and maintains vehicles and equipment according to City standards.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
· Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
· Driving is required.
· City policies and procedures.
· Operation and maintenance standards for specialized equipment and vehicles used in SWD operations.
· State laws and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) guidelines governing operation of SWD vehicles and safe handling of hazardous materials.
· Operating a variety of tools, equipment and vehicles in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
· Safely operating large motor vehicles within the constraints of City traffic
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· A valid Texas Class B Commercial Driver’s License is required within 90 days of hire. Applicant must hold a written permit at time of application.
· Six months of heavy equipment operations experience is required
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent is preferred
· Major activities are performed outdoors, may be exposed to all weather conditions.
· Requires exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or a up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org