Website City of Waco
Utilities Plant Operator Manager | Water Utilities | Job Number 2021-01641
Job Family: Management Supervisory
Posting Start Date: 06/15/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Under general supervision, assists with planning, organizing and managing the daily operations of the Waco Water Utility Services Department (WUSD); evaluates operations and develops recommendations for additional programs and improvements to existing programs.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assists with planning, managing, reviewing and evaluating operations and maintenance of water treatment plants, wastewater treatment plants, lift stations, and water storage facilities; develops plans for new programs and improvements to existing programs to improve efficiency, regulatory compliance and safety; assists with capital improvement project recommendations, priorities and project management.
• Manages staff, assigns duties and responsibilities and meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve workload, technical and safety issues.
• Manages the developer and economic development requests for information and services.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Supports the Deputy Director with emergency situations; project reviews; Street/Utility projects; and overall management of the Water Utility Services.
• May be required to respond after hours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
· City policies and procedures.
· Maintenance and repair standards for distribution, collection and equipment.
· State and Federal regulations governing municipal utilities and the treatment and transmission of water/wastewater; including Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) standards.
· Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
· Analyzing W/WW maintenance issues, evaluating alternatives and developing recommendations.
· Interpreting and applying technical standards and federal and state rules and regulations.
· Managing staff, delegating tasks and authority and coaching to improve staff performance.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials and representatives from other local, state and federal agencies.
· Using a personal computer and specialized software applications.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Business, Public Administration Construction or a related field and five years’ experience in W/WW management; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. A total of thirteen years of work experience is required to substitute for all education. Five of those work experience years must be as manager of a water or wastewater plant
· Must possess a valid Class C Texas Driver’s License.
· Class A Water and a Class A Wastewater license from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) are required; according to the needs of the City, additional training and certifications may be required.
· Major activities performed under normal office conditions
· Requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or a up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org