Website City of Waco
Zookeeper Swing – Reptiles, Birds, Aquatics, and Small Mammals| Zoo | Job Number 2021-01646
Job Family: Field Maintenance
Posting Start Date: 06/24/2021| Closing: Open Until Filled
Salary: $12.00 – $13.00 Hourly
Under basic supervision, provides for the health and welfare of exotic and native animals in the City Zoo through diet preparation and feeding, enclosure maintenance, behavioral observation and training, enrichment and health care maintenance and treatment.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Assists with the daily care, husbandry and nutrition of assigned animals; resolves problems within scope of authority; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Monitors and maintains Zoo exhibits, identifies animal care issues, prepares and distributes diets and supplements; monitors animal health issues, behavior and eating habits; maintains records; examines exhibit facilities and grounds to assure proper maintenance procedures are followed.
· Assists with public education, community outreach and safety and security programs.
· Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
· Performs other duties as required or assigned.
· Driving is essential.
· City policies and procedures.
· State and Federal codes and regulations governing public Zoo facilities operations.
· Principles and practices of file and records management and documentation procedures.
· Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards and safety precautions in public facilities.
· Appropriate PPE
· Maintenance, behavioral observation, record keeping, nutrition, diet preparation, feeding techniques and disinfection procedures
· Managing animal containment and life support protocols and procedures.
· Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
· Associates Degree in Zoology, Biological Sciences, or related field.
· One-year animal care work experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Husbandry experience received at an AZA accredited zoo or wild Animal Park with the below listed taxa is desired:
o Birds- raptors, parrots, and waterfowl
o Small mammal- carnivores, rodents, and primates
o Reptiles- non-venomous and venomous species including Komodo dragons
o Fish- marine and freshwater species
· Experience with the maintenance and operation of both large and small life support systems including sand filters, canister filters, sock filters, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, and ozone generators.
Physical Demands / EEO Statement
· Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Required to physically work with wild animals.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com