Website Waco Housing Authority and Affiliates
WACO HOUSING AUTHORITY& AFFILIATES
TITLE: Maintenance Technician I (NON-EXEMPT)
Essential Job Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely performs a wide variety of maintenance and repair work on facilities, systems, structures, and equipment.
- Responsible for general maintenance of Authority housing developments and grounds. Performs major carpentry, electrical, and plumbing repairs and general repairs on mechanical equipment in response to service requests and inspections of units at assigned housing development.
Specific duties include the following:
- Makes daily rounds of housing development and grounds to identify maintenance needs and removes trash and discarded items.
- Repairs or replaces wiring and parts for electrical outlets, switches, light fixtures, and breaker switches/fuses. Checks for and repairs gas leaks.
- Assembles, installs and/or repairs or replaces plumbing fixtures and fittings; showers, leaky faucets, clogged drains and sewer lines, damaged toilets, sinks, and water cutoffs. Repairs and replaces water heaters.
- Makes carpentry repairs/replacements to damaged walls, roofs, woodwork, floors, gutters, doors, downspouts, windows, cabinets, counter tops, peepholes and clotheslines. May perform painting functions as part of “make ready” procedure.
- Makes or reinforces and installs/replaces window screens and doorknobs and dead
bolt locks and repairs and replaces tile floors.
- Repairs and makes adjustments to and replaces various appliances and equipment;
refrigerators, gas and electric stoves, heaters, water heaters, smoke detectors,
condensing units and coil.
- Replaces furnace/AC filters, checks air vents and thermostats (may be required to
install furnace units, A-Coils and condensing unit).
- Reads and maintains gas and electricity meters on all communities.
- May delegate work to subordinate staff and monitor their work per Maintenance Manager’s instructions.
- Works on emergency work orders and after hours.
- Ensure grounds contractor is notified and inspects work for quality and completion by
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- High school graduate or GED. Two years experience in building maintenance or
vocational training, which involved training and/or experience in areas of carpentry,
plumbing, and electrical repairs, HVAC/refrigeration, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience. Type II Certification.
- Good knowledge of techniques, methods, materials, and equipment used in plumbing,
carpentry, and electrical repairs; and in the repair of household appliances, and heating
and air condition systems.
- High degree of skill in one or more tradecrafts and working knowledge of all
- Uses tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers,
hoists, saws, drills and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and
electrical/air conditioning testing devices, and other various hand and test
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and understand moderately complex repair manuals, and
instructions/warning on cleaning agents; write service requests, maintenance reports,
and inspection reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Authority
employees and residents.
- Valid Texas driver’s license and eligibility for coverage under Authority fleet auto
Supervision Received and Given
The employee receives instructions from the Director of Maintenance. Generally,
methods of accomplishing assignments are at the discretion of the employee within
established procedures and repair manual guides. The supervisor generally sets
deadlines and priorities and the employee’s progress is monitored regularly. The
employee’s work is reviewed generally for quality and completeness.
The employee follows established maintenance procedures and practices and service
manuals in performing assigned tasks. If a situation not covered by guidelines arises,
the employee consults the supervisor for guidance.
Work performed by the employee is mostly routine and repetitive in nature.
Occasionally, some tasks may require the exercise of personal judgment in making
decisions on accomplishing assigned work.
Scope and Effect
The employee’s work primarily affects the residents in the housing development to
which the employee is assigned. It also impacts on the adequacy of total low-rent
housing provided by the Authority. Through successful accomplishment of
maintenance tasks, the Authority is able to continue to provide decent, safe and
The employee’s personal contacts are primarily with residents and other employees.
Contacts with residents are particularly important. The purpose of these is to give and
obtain information necessary to do the maintenance tasks efficiently and safely and
document all actions. Conditions under which contacts occur can range from normal
to stressful in an emergency situation, such as a gas leak or power failure.
The employee must operate hand and power tools and equipment. Normal physical
activity can be strenuous and may involve prolonged standing, walking, reaching,
bending, crouching, stooping, and lying prone. The employee must use arm strength
to manipulate hand tools such as saws, sanders and jointers.
The employee must occasionally push, pull, and/or lift objects up to and over 25
pounds. Work requires spatial perception and a combination of finger and manual
The employee works indoors and outdoors and is exposed to weather extremes. The
employee may occasionally be subject to electrical shock hazards, dangerous heights,
dangerous chemicals, and skin irritants (e.g., cleaning solutions, solvents,
insecticides). The employee may be required to use goggles, gloves, safety boots,
masks, waist support belts, and other safety equipment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com