Website Waco Housing Authority and Affiliates
WACO HOUSING AUTHORITY& AFFILIATES
TITLE: Section 8 Counselor (NON-EXEMPT)
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for implementing the complete leasing cycle under the Authority’s
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program. Performs a variety of tasks related
to the Section 8 leasing cycle. Specific duties include the following:
- Interviews applicants, obtains, verifies and calculates all sources of income and
resources to determine financial eligibility of applicants.
- Conducts yearly reviews of residents’ family income and make-up of household
members to determine continued eligibility and benefit level and processes
adjustments when warranted.
- Issues Voucher from waiting lists or transfers.
- Receives and reconcile funds owed to the agency by repayment agreement.
- Maintain resident and landlord files and documents historical log for each resident.
- Answers resident and landlord inquiry and provide information on status of rent,
damage claims, property corrections, etc.
- Pulls files for re-examinations, makes revisions, calculates rent adjustments, notifies
resident and landlord orally and/or in writing of changes and schedules appointment
for re-exam conferences, etc.
- Requests inspections and prepares inspection form.
- Prepares data sheet for accountants.
- Establish and maintain contact with community social service agencies, gather
information and refer residents as necessary.
- Counsel residents and assists in resolution of problems between owners and residents.
- Performs clerical duties such as answering telephone, general typing, filing and mailing correspondence.
- Performs other related Section 8 duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- High school graduate or GED. Three to five years of experience in related area, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures, business English and basic
- Some knowledge of standard bookkeeping principles, practices, and techniques.
Knowledge of HUD and Authority policies, procedures and practices pertaining to the
Section 8 programs.
- Skill in operating general office machines and computers.
- Ability to communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities and
establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and
- Valid Texas driver’s license.
- Eligibility for coverage under Authority fleet auto insurance.
Supervision Received and Given
The employee receives work assignments from the Director of Section 8. The
supervisor usually establishes priorities and time frames. The supervisor monitors the
employees work for thoroughness, neatness and compliance with procedures and
The employee has no supervisory responsibilities.
The employee follows the Authority’s policies and procedures, HUD regulations and
past experience in accomplishing assignments. Methods for accomplishing routine
work are at the discretion of the employee, subject to existing practices and
procedures. When unusual situations arise, the employee may request guidance from
The employee performs a variety of related tasks, which are repetitive and mostly
routine in nature. Occasionally, the employee is required to exercise personal
judgment in making decisions in accomplishing assignments. Non-routine situations
are usually referred to the supervisor for resolution.
Scope and Effect
The employee’s work primarily affects the administrative output of the Section 8
Office. A good job performance by the employee enhances the office’s ability to
provide housing and assistance to Authority residents.
The employee’s personal contacts are with applicants, residents, other employees and
community social service agencies. The purpose of such contacts is to obtain
information and documentation needed by the Authority for housing families and
providing assistance to families.
Work is principally sedentary, but may involve some physical exertion, such as
kneeling, crouching, or lifting to obtain files and records, and eyestrain from working
with computers and other office equipment.
Work involves the normal risks and discomforts associated with an office
environment, but is usually in an area that is adequately heated, lighted, and ventilated.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org